Major Partner

80 Market Street
Essendon 3040
9374 1279

Club History

life Membership

Feb. 24, 2018
BPTC Life Memberships AS AT December 2017 Life membership is granted to those who have served 10 years or more on the committee or have provided exceptional service to the club over a long period of time Members Name Issued Contribution to club Colin Thompson 1988 Currently at 39 years as treasurer Bev Harris 1990 Club house construction Jacqui Teal 1991 Various roles on committee Ian Izzard 2001 Various roles on committee including president Colin smith 2001 Various roles on committee, including maintenance manager Julie Thompson 2005 Currently at 36 as junior convener Carol Munro 2008 Currently at 25 years as Night comp convener Steve Munro 2008 Currently 25 years as Bar manager Colin Durand 2017 Maintenance manager Peter Hubble 2017 Club coach for over 30 years


History

Feb. 23, 2018
Buckley Park Tennis Club History of club - 1957 - Dec 16 1957 A meeting of 28 people was held at the civic hall to discuss the forming a new Club at Buckley Park as part of the Buckley park Civic Association. They had indications from over 70 people who were interested in joining the club. At this meeting a foundation committee was formed and included  President: CJ Richards Esq.  A.W. Graham E.T. Millar  S.O. Haywood JF Russell  J.E.L Jeffrey NK Smyth  J.P Knight Mrs A Selby  Miss G. Walker 5 porous courts were installed - 1958 - Competition started  A Small weatherboard building was erected on the site to be used as the clubhouse - 1975 A 6th porous court was added. This was done by raising funds through the the issuing of Debentures to members, to a total value $6,850 to help pay for the new court. This money was paid back to the debentures holders over the next couple of years. - 1979 New brick club house built. Frank Crowe was the driving force behind its construction During construction period, an old prefab tent was provided by Jim Thompson, (Colin’s Dad), to be used as temporary clubrooms - 1982 All courts were changed to a more low maintenance synthetic grass courts surface  BPTC was the first club in northern suburbs to use the synthetic grass on it's courts - 1984 Peter Hubble commenced as the club coach - 1985 Lights were installed on courts 4-6 by DNA lighting - 1990 Lights were installed on the top courts 1 to 3 - 1993 An application was made to obtain a liquor license, however this was defeated as it was decided to keep the club a "dry club" - 1994 A new application for a liquor license was made and this time it was approved - 1997 Extensions were made to the clubhouse which nclude new toilets, the Bar and committee room Wilfred brooks was a big driver in this extension getting completed. - 2007 50th birthday celebration was held with a big function held at ? - 2009 An application was made to the council to install a further 7th court to the club and this was approved, the club also provide some funs for the construction of the court - 2010 The new 7th court was constructed and completed in early January by WM louds - 2010 Feb: Courts 1 to 3 were resurfaced by Tiger Turf using "Tournament 1000" synthetic grass, - 2011 Nov. Courts 4 to 6 were resurfaced by Tiger Turf using "Tournament 1000" synthetic grass. all the net post were replaced and low areas were levelled out SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER INFORMATION OR DETAILS TO ADD TO THIS LISTING OR FIND ANY MISTAKES, OR HAVE ANY OLD PHOTOS PLEASE EMAIL YOUR INFORMATION OR PHOTOS TO INFO@BPTC.COMA.U OR CONTACT MARK CHANDLER ON 0418 529 666